Wednesday, August 20, 2008

And You Wonder Why I’m Single.

This blog is not to bash men in anyway so please don’t take offense if you happen to be of the male persuasion. I know there are some amazing men out there but this is not about them. And I know what I am about to complain about can also apply to some women but today it’s all about the guys. Now that I’ve covered my ass we can begin.

I need to let off some steam about those guys that think it’s ok to be a disgusting touchy feely perv even though they are in the presence of their wife (and similar guys). I mean let’s have a collective “Ew”. Especially when said guy is like 30 years older than you.

First off, I love hugging. I’m a hugger by nature but that’s really where I draw the line. I really don’t like people invading my personal space. Perhaps I should walk around with a sign that says, “Stay out of my circle of personal space or be kicked.” Or I could always walk around with a hula-hoop to keep unwanted people away. Although that might make getting around rather tricky. Generally I’ve learned that other countries aren’t as concerned about their own personal space and hence don’t care if they invade yours but, that’s their culture and I’m not here to judge them.

Anyway, a hug or a handshake or a hello from across the room will suffice when greeting someone that you aren’t really close to. I really don’t even like speaking to people I don’t really know. I barely speak at family functions where there are too many strangers around or even if it’s just the family. And that’s saying a lot about my comfort level since normally you can’t shut me up. There is no need, I repeat no need and no circumstance where a kiss on the lips is appropriate for a non-boyfriend/non-friend/non-close family member. Eww, eew, eew. Did I mention ew? Not cool.

Also, when did it become ok for someone to just touch you??? Even if it’s my hands that you are touching, that’s a no no. It’s not ok. Don’t touch me. And please feel free to tell me it’s just me but I don’t think it’s really appropriate to constantly look at one’s cleavage and follow that up with another Unwanted hug, then tell you in front of their wife that, Ooo you have soft skin. Bleh!

Listen, I’ve dealt with some creeps in my day, most of which are much older than me, but I really hate putting up with this kind of behavior. If you go to a club or a bar it’s expected that drunk guys will feel you up. I don’t like it but I get it. Plus they are your age so it’s not creepy, just annoying. But in a non-alcohol family setting, what the hell? Sometimes I wish I would grow a set of Cajones so I could just tell these people what I really think. But for now writing this little blog will have to do.

Protect Your Bubble of Personal Space.

Jill E.

No comments: